Curriculum Vitae Private
Professor Justin A Vale, MS, FRCSUrol
- B.Sc. in Biochemistry, (upper second), University of London 1981
- M.B., B.S., University of London 1984
- F.R.C.S., England 1988
- M.S., University of London 1992
- F.R.C.S.Urol, Intercollegiate 1993
- Fellow European Board Urology (EBU) 1996
- Consultant Urological Surgeon, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust.
- Professor of Practice in Urology, Imperial College London
- Deputy Medical Director, Safety and Effectiveness, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust
- Clinical Lead, Patient Safety Translational Research Centre (PSTRC), Imperial College London
Despite the drive towards “sub-specialisation” in urology, I have always enjoyed the breadth of the specialty and prefer the “urologist with a specialist interest” concept. I provide a high quality local service in the NHS with approximately 600 general in-patient/day-case admissions. Additionally I perform approx 70 major cancer procedures annually, of which 20% are tertiary referrals. Dr Foster and BAUS comparative audit data show that for index procedures I am a high performer in terms of outcomes.
I have been instrumental in the introduction of innovative technologies within my clinical practice including advanced laparoscopy in the early 2000’s, and latterly robotic surgery. The Imperial robotic prostatectomy programme commenced in 2005, and audit data confirm that for my last 100 cases the transfusion rate is 4.5%, clinical leak rate is 4.5%, positive margin rate for T2 disease is 10.7% and for T3 disease is 47.8%. These data are comparable to large published international series. I have introduced robotic partial nephrectomy. This permits more accurate tumour excision and more rapid reconstruction (mean warm ischaemia time <20 min for last 15 cases) than conventional keyhole surgery, improving patient safety. These clinical interests are closely aligned with my research interests in augmented reality in robotic surgery, which has the potential to improve safety and accuracy further. These research interests are reflected in my publications.
I have also been involved in patient engagement and communication of innovation in surgery by participating in documentaries such as:
Robots in the operating theatres of London. BBC, Inside Out London. Programme 9, Series 13, April 2008. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00b27xr
Robots and advanced imaging transform surgery. The Health Show, BBC World News, Series 1, Programme 7, September 2011
Innovation extends beyond the operating theatre and I care passionately about patient experience and efficiency in care delivery. I hold a number of leadership positions related to safety and effectiveness in the NHS.
I have been included in the Times list of the Top British Surgeons in 2010 and 2011.
Publications in past 5 years:
- Karim O, Mayer E, Kucheria R, Hrouda D, Vale J. “Surgery illustrated – focus on details: Technique for urethral eversion and vesico-urethral anastomosis: application to robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy”. BJU Int. 105; (2010); 284-7.
- Mayer EK, Bottle A, Darzi AW, Athanasiou T, Vale JA. “The volume-mortality relation for radical cystectomy in England: retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics”. BMJ. (2010) Mar 19;340:c1128.
- Ahmed K, Vale J, Dasgupta P, Khan MS. “Leadership in urology education”. BJU Int. 106; (2010); 1574-5.
- Cohen D, Mayer EK, Chen D, Anstee A, Vale J, Yang G-Z, Darzi A, and Edwards P. “Augmented Reality Image Guidance in Minimally Invasive Prostatectomy. Prostate Cancer Imaging”. Computer-Aided Diagnosis, Prognosis, and Intervention. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6367; (2010); 101-110. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-642-15989-3_12.
- Mayer EK, Bottle A, Aylin P, Darzi AW, Athanasiou T, Vale JA. “The volume-outcome relationship for radical cystectomy in England: an analysis of outcomes other than mortality”. BJU Int. 2011 Oct;108(8 Pt 2):E258-65 doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2010.10010.x. Epub 2011 Feb 11.
- Ahmed K, Jawad M, Abboudi M, Gavazzi A, Darzi A, Athanasiou T, Vale J, Khan MS, Dasgupta P. “Effectiveness of procedural simulation in urology: a systematic review”. J Urol. 186; (2011); 26-34.
- Mayer EK, Bottle A, Aylin P, Darzi AW, Vale JA, Athanasiou T. “What is the role of risk-adjusted funnel plots in the analysis of radical cystectomy volume-outcome relationships?” BJU Int. 108; (2011); 844-50.
- Alleemudder A, Dudderidge T, Rao A, Mayer EK, Hrouda D, Vale JA, Khoubehi B. “Feasibility of robotic partial nephrectomy in a UK Cancer Centre”. British Journal of Medical & Surgical Urology 4; (2011); 78-85.
- Mayer EK, Karim O, Vale JA. “New Use of Foley Catheter for Exposing the Urethral Stump During Vesicourethral Anastomosis in Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy”. Urology 77; (2011); 1268-9.
- Pratt P, Mayer E, Vale J, Cohen D, Edwards E, Darzi A, Yang G-Z. “An effective visualisation and registration system for image-guided robotic partial nephrectomy”. Journal of Robotic Surgery, Accepted December 2011. DOI 10.1007/s11701-011-0334-z
- Mayer EK, Undre S, Cohen DC, Walker MM, Vale JA, Patel A. An Unusual Urological Tumour: Above the Collar and below the Belt. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2012;2012:480826. doi: 10.1155/2012/480826. Epub 2012 Sep 29.
- Fanous RN, Mayer EK, Vale J, Lloyd J, Walker MM. Primary renal embryonal rhabdomyosarcoma in adults: a case report and review of the literature. Case Rep Oncol Med. 2012;2012:460749. doi: 10.1155/2012/460749. Epub 2012 Oct 23. PubMed PMID: 23150839; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3488383.
- Khan MA, Kar A, Walker MM, Lloyd J, Vale JA, Mayer EK. A Case of Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Renal Pelvis in association with Schistosoma hematobium. Case. Rep Oncol Med. 2012;2012:352401. doi: 10.1155/2012/352401. Epub 2012 Dec 19.
- Naseer A, King D, Lee H, Vale J. Testicular dislocation: the importance of scrotal examination in a trauma patient. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2012 Mar;94(2):e109-10. doi: 10.1308/003588412X13171221502266.
- Sridhar AN, Hughes-Hallett A, Mayer EK, Pratt PJ, Edwards PJ, Yang GZ, Darzi AW, Vale JA. Image-guided robotic interventions for prostate cancer. Nat Rev Urol. 2013 Aug;10(8):452-62. doi: 10.1038/nrurol.2013.129. Epub 2013 Jun 18.
- Hughes-Hallett A, Mayer EK, Marcus HJ, Cundy TP, Pratt PJ, Darzi AW, Vale JA. Augmented reality partial nephrectomy: examining the current status and future perspectives. Urology. 2014 Feb;83(2):266-73. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2013.08.049. Epub 2013 Oct 19.
- Hughes-Hallett A, Pratt P, Mayer E, Di Marco A, Yang GZ, Vale J, Darzi A. Intraoperative ultrasound overlay in robot-assisted partial nephrectomy: first clinical experience. Eur Urol. 2014 Mar;65(3):671-2. doi:10.1016/j.eururo.2013.11.001. Epub 2013 Nov 12.
- Hughes-Hallett A, Pratt P, Mayer E, Martin S, Darzi A, Vale J. Image Guidance for All -TilePro Display of 3-Dimensionally Reconstructed Images in Robotic Partial Nephrectomy. Urology 2014. 84: 237-243.
- Hughes-Hallett, A., Mayer, E., Pratt, P., Mottrie, A., Darzi, A., & Vale, J. A census of robotic urological practice and training: a survey of the robotic section of the European Association of Urology. Journal of Robotic Surgery. 2014. doi:10.1007/s11701-014-0478-8
- Hughes-Hallett A, Mayer EK, Marcus HJ, Cundy TP, Pratt PJ, Parston G, Vale JA, Darzi AW. Quantifying Innovation in Surgery. Annals of Surgery. 2014. 260(2), 205-211.
- Hughes-Hallett, A., Mayer, E. K., Pratt, P., Mottrie, A., Darzi, A., & Vale, J. The current and future use of imaging in urological robotic surgery: A survey of the European Association of Robotic Urological Surgeons. International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery. 2014. doi:10.1002/rcs.1596
Book Chapters in the past 5 years:
- Wong K, Mayer EK, Vale JA. ”Prostate Cancer”. In: “Pocket Book of Neoplasm”. Ashrafian H, Kamran A, Khan S, Athanasiou T, editors. (Imperial College Press). ISBN: 978-1-84816-441-3 (In press).
- Mayer EK and Vale JA. “The Urologist and Gynaecology”. In “Shaw’s Textbook of Operative Gynaecology”. 7th Edition. Setchell M, Shepherd J, editors. (Churchill Livingston). 2013.